Tuesday 1 January 2013

Back at the beginning

I found that my trip away started with a domestic flight to Adelaide and from there the international flights would start. With help from a great Australian woman on a Singapore Airlines services counter Ay Adelaide I was checked into the first internationall eg to Singapore and then onwards to KL, without being shunted onto the long queues and missing the flight. At the gate I hung back to let almost everyone onto the Singapore Airlines plane. I knew I had an aisle seat so I was in no hurry to board. Also with an 8 hr flight ahead I wanted to keep walking up and down for exercise for as long as I could. I handwrote ... Ah. Right now my Singapore Sling (SS) has been delivered. I have never had one before. A large glass (not plastic) with a beautiful red pink liquid inside. And ahhh... I feel a wonderful warmth at the top of my mouth. How good is this! And I have no-one sitting next to me. I have already pulled on the airline's blue classy sock boots. This is bliss. Back at the service centre, the woman had been kind and perhaps she could see that I was relieved that all could be sorted. Customs was easy and lax.Simply gorgeous blus skies sunny day in Adelaide. Now the glamorous airlines attendant has removed my empty glass and trotted off to get me a refill. Then she (or was it someone else - there were so many that serviced me) poured a mix of nuts into a china bowl. The first drink is always the best but I persisted with a total of 3 SSs. And did I say there was an introductory sparkling wine to clean my palette before I settled into the SSs. The SS ingredients are dry gin, DOM Benecdictine, Cointreau, Cherry Brandy, Angostura Bitters, Grenadaine, mixed with lime and pineapple juice. (How big does one's cocktail cabinet have to be!) I have quite a bit of space where I sit. I have two windows of my own to look out from. I have so much leg room - its a shame not to be tall and willowy at this moment. So back to Gate 20. Mosgt passengers have filed through. Out of the blue appeared the woman who had organised my tickets. She called me over. She handed me a business class ticket and took my economy one away from me and urged me to enjoy the champers. Even as I write I feel all teary. What a wonderful gift. I didnt but almost hugged her. I was ushered on board and the service has started. In Business class there were only 5 rows of us with 6 seats in a row (eleven across down in cattle class - although that drawn curtain masks those rows). Every 3 or 4 minutes someone comes by to offer me something. I am surrounded by an assortment of fresh unused newspapers. I look at this as wonderful luck. I treasure and value it. In Business class there are many crevices and equipment and options on and around your wide seat.I dont think I discovered them all. Got too busy with those Slings.

No comments:

Post a Comment