Thursday 10 January 2013

The traveller returned

My plane from KL to Singapore was delayed. Heavy rains in Singapore meant it left late to get to us. So by the time it landed back in Singapore my flight to Melbourne had been boarding for 15 minutes. Thankfully the plane landed in the same terminal but at one end and it took me almost 20 minutes power walking to get to the other departure gate. The consequence of the delay of the first flight was that baggage handlers didnt get my case onto the Australian flight and it flew on the new trip to Australia. So when I arrived and was waiting at the carousel in Melbourne with no case in sight, I was not unsurprised to hear a call for Dr Helen Tyzack to come to baggage services. Their promise was to deliver it to my door in Hobart later that Tuesday. So off I went to Virgin, and with the help of a marvellous staff member and with no extra cost, I was able to get my late Tuesday flight to Hobart changed to a midday one. Not leaving anything to chance I made a series of phone calls as the day progressed and by 9pm my case arrived in a white chauffeured limousine. And so the washing commenced. The holiday was slipping away. I was lucky as usual. On the 8 hr leg I had three seats to lie down and sleep across. Slept through breakfast and felt the better for it - and landed in Melbourne close to 8am (which was 5am from whence I had travelled). Glad to have tried Singapore Airlines. Found everything to be good except some customer service in Singapore. The thousands of people at Tullamarine on New Years Day confirmed in me a strong disinclination to travel around new year. Please may I not forget that. And people travel with so much. Attendants walk past and say you can only take 1 piece into the cabin, and people dont hear/choose not to hear/ cant hear and walk on with 6 packed bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment