Wednesday 26 December 2012

Happy hour discovery

I knew my hotel had a bar on the 34th floor, and then at 6.30pm discovered it was free drinks and food from 5 to 7pm nightly. The view of the twin towers was phenomenal. The Chilean merlot was great. And the tempura veg, the spicy samosas etc were all I needed as a dinner snack. Talked happily with others who would not travel to Australia because we are too expensive. I smiled smugly thinking how much cheaper the dollar situation makes my holidays out of Oz. But for the first time I really understood the difficulties for our tourism sector.

6 comments:

  1. Can you imagine a 5yr old English child who has lived all her life in Brunei (which is apparently boring for tourists after a day) , has travelled around regularly in Vietnam, Malaysia etc and all her friends have asian coloured skin. So when she is told the family is returning permanentl to live in England, and she is booked into a new school, can you imagine her remarking with surprise that the school already has published her picture. No says her Mum. These are other girls. Everyone is going to look like you. So how does a bright 5yrold cope with that dramatic culture change. And then what about the change in climate. I understand half of england is flooded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found another bar, around the swimming pool, on the 36th floor. Had a Campari and soda for over $9 aust a glass. Everyone with their ipads and tablets. I used mine to take shots of the ever brilliant twin towers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would be dizzy at that hight just from looking at the photo i went weak at the knees and wobbly i think i am an earth sniml. Happy drinking happy eating and happy swimming and don;t get the wobbles uop cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing the photos, Helen! Sounds wonderful, so far ... and I love the idea of a pool on the 36th floor!! Megan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pool looks shallow. Brought my bathers with me but never had time to swim. Interesting signage around when bar in use - no responsibility taken. Wonder how many slip in accidentally after drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pool looks shallow. Brought my bathers with me but never had time to swim. Interesting signage around when bar in use - no responsibility taken. Wonder how many slip in accidentally after drinks.

    ReplyDelete