Sunday 23 December 2012

Last call for the day

Just back from hunting for dinner locally. Wont do that again. Lean pickings nearby only of upmarket or mass produced options. I need to back in little India or in Chinatown. But back in my hotel in time to hear the last call to prayer. At dinner, the single woman sitting next to me struck up a conversation. She was from Ipoh to the north and filling in time until her train home; of chinese heritage. Concentrating hard to understand what she, and earlier, what Maharani was saying is exhausting. Common English words pronounced so unusually that I have been straining to get their meaning. So I have smiled a lot today but missed a bit on the conversations. I have to say that both had an excellent command of English. My problem was in making sense of a sentence when the accent on words is different than expected.But through both women it has been most informative and immensely enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment