Wednesday 26 December 2012

Kompleks Kraf

A 15 minute walk from my hotel is a promotional craft precinct. It has elements of our Design Centre in Launceston where the best of our contemporary wood design etc is shown and then a shop sells wares. This KL version was much larger and spread across considerable land. Dotted around were steeply gabled one room buildings. Each one was the studio for an artisan. The studios for painters didnt do anything for me and showed completed images and some in progress that were what I think of as amateur smatterings for a tourist market. Potters similarly didnt interest me. But the wood carvers had one interesting artisan who I talked with for long while - but his subject matter was out there. Carved wooden noses in hard makaysian timber, of ever size and shape. Bizarre. Awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment